Dr. Gregory L. Clarke by Divine Appointment, in 1986, became the tenth pastor of New Hope Baptist Church, Birmingham, Alabama. He is a skilled administrator with Bible Centered convictions, a compassionate spirit, as well as, an anointed preacher/teacher.
Beyond the church, Dr. Clarke has established for the community a Food Pantry and Meal-on- Wheels to serve the needy; a Senior Citizens Recreation Center for activity daily with seniors; Senior Apartments for independent living seniors; a Prison Ministry for the incarcerated and a weekly Television Broadcast for the shut-in.
- Pastor of a Mega Church
- Superintendant of a Private Christians School System
- Former President of a Federal Credit Union
- Former President of a Community Payment Center
- Former President of Senior Housing Complex
- Former Owner of Clarke Company Mortgage Company, Inc.
- Recipient of F.B.I. “Community Service Award”
- Recipient of NAACP “Medgar Evers Economic Empowerment Award”
- Recipient of the City of Birmingham Dedicating a Street as “Rev. Dr. Gregory L. Clarke Street” on March 29, 2016
- Bachelor of Science Degree- Birmingham Southern College (Finance Major)
- Post Graduate- Harvard University, School of Divinity-Summer Leadership Institute
- Post Graduate – Boston University, School of Theology- Sustaining Urban Pastoral Excellence Program (Two year study program)
- 1892 The Church was established and has been located in nearly every section of Birmingham
- 1950 The First Church in Birmingham to offer Daycare and Kindergarten, both continue today.
- 1974 First Black Baptist Church in Birmingham to build a Mega Sanctuary.
- 1987 First Baptist Church in Birmingham to have a Band every Sunday Service. Organ, Keyboard, Drums, Bass, Congo Drum, and Lead Guitar.
- 1988 First Church in Birmingham to have a Mass Youth Choir with over 200 voices in the H.S. Mass Choir.
- 1994-1998 First Birmingham Area Black Church to build a "Campus: (Daycare Building, Preschool Building, Elementary Building and Credit Union Building")
- 1999 First and only Church Choir featured on the Official Governor's Christmas Stationary (Governor Don Siegelman)
- 2000-2003 First and only Church Choir to receive three (3) consecutive "Best Church Choir" by voters of the Birmingham News
- 2001 First Church in Birminghamto become "one" church "two" locations.
- 2006 First and only Church in the State of Alabama to receive a $3-million-dollar Grant from the United States Health and Human Service Dept. to teach "Abstinece" in the Birmingham School System, Grades 7-12.
- 2007 First and only Church Choir in the State of Alabama to receive the Steve Harvey National "Hoodie" Award for "Best Church Choir in America."
- 2012 First Church in the State of Alabama to confer a B.S. Degree (Bible Scholar) at a formal Graduation Exercise at Samford University
- Over 1,000 at New Hope Baptist Church
- Baptized 58 in the Jordan River, Jerusalem, Israel
- Baptized in the First Baptismal Service of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A. (1994) 114th Session
- 5,945 people have joined since I've been Pastor
- Goodstreet Baptist; Dallas, Texas, Dr. C.A.W. Clark, Pastor
- National Baptist Convention 121st Session, Philadelphia, PA.
- 25th Anniversary Dr. John T. Porter, Sixth Ave. Baptist, B'ham, AL.
- Four Continents (North America, South America, Europe, Africa)
- Gospel Music Workshop of America 49th ConventionHistoric 1st Baptist Church Selma, AL.
- Inaugural Prayer for Governor Don Siegelman, Montgomery, AL.
- Opening Session for Congressional Black Caucus, Washington, D.C.
Despite numerous responsibilities, Dr. Clarke is a devoted husband (Regina) and father of four children and eight grandchildren.
Bookings for preaching, speaking or consulting at:
1740 Cleburn Avenue Southwest
Birmingham, AL 35211